Churches and monasteries in Varosh
The monastery complex of St. Michael the Archangel was built as an eagle nest between rocks on the southwest side of Marko's Towers. The original church of the monastery was located below the present monastery church of St. Archangel Michael. It was a single-nave church and today it is stored only a small wall in length east-west, on which there is a fragment of a fresco where is represented a donor composition, very damaged. There are assumptions that this church derives from XII century, it was built on two floors and it was dedicated to St. Nicholas. Recent studies show that the church dates from the XII century and it was enlarged in the XIII and XIV century. The monastery shelters were built in 1861 with the donations of the guild. The participation of individual guilds is marked in the inscriptions of hospices. Because of the susceptibility to decay, the quarters on the left side of the church have been renovated in 1974. After the Battle of the river Maritza in 1371 the portraits of King Mark and his father Volkasin were painted. They are located on the left and right of the entrance to the church on the west facade. In the porch of the church there are preserved three ancient monolithic pillars. On one of them there is a tombstone inscription of Bishop Andrew of 996, which is the second oldest recording with old Slavic Cyrillic letters.